3. Knowing Jesus through His Names
I. WHO IS JESUS? We will find the answer from the meaning of His names.
- Read Matthew 1:18-25
- What is the meaning of the name “Immanuel”? (1)________________
- What does this name explain about Jesus? _(2)___________________
- The verse says to call the baby _(3)__________, because He will save His people from their (4)_____ . Explanation: The first part of the word “Jesus” is from the first part of God’s name, sometimes spelled Jehovah, so it stands for God. The second part is from a word in the Jewish language that means “saves,” so “Jesus” means _(5)_________ saves.
- What does this name explain about Jesus’ purpose? _(6)____________
- Read Mark 15:32. What two things is Jesus called here? (7)_______, _______
Read John 1:41. Christ has the same meaning as what word? (8)_________
Explanation: The word Christ comes from Greek, and the word Messiah comes from Hebrew, the language of the Jews. These two words have the same meaning: an Anointed One (someone who has been anointed). This means that a prophet poured oil on someone’s head in a ceremony to show that God had selected him for a special purpose. In Old Testament times, the Jews used oil to anoint three types of people: kings, priests, and prophets. (Priests make sacrifices; prophets tell what God’s will is.) God promised the Jewish people that one day a great leader would appear. That leader would save not only the Jewish people, but would also save all the people of the world. The Jewish people called this leader their M (8)_______. This was translated into Greek as “Christ”. So if we call Jesus “Christ”, we are confessing that Jesus is 1) the king who has come to save us, 2) that he is the P(9)_______ who shows us God’s will, and 3) that he is a (10)________ who made a sacrifice for us (the sacrifice Jesus made was Himself).
- Read John 1:1-3. Below we will study the meaning of the term “Word”.
- The “Word” was with whom? (11)_____
- All things were created through whom? (12)_____
- The “Word” is the same as who? (13)__________
To find out what the term “Word” is basically referring to, read John 1:14.
- According to Bible teaching, what is the name of the one who was sent to become flesh (that means “to become a human”)? (14) ____________
- Because Jesus is the “Word,” Jesus is not only a historic figure, at the same time he is the (15)________ who exists eternally and who made everything.
Read John 1:1-3 and 14 again, saying “Jesus” in place of “Word” and “He.” (16)
C. Read Matthew 16:15-16. These Bible verses say that Jesus is the (17)____ of God, so basically, what then is Jesus? Is he God’s Son, or is He God? In order to find the answer to this question, please read John 5:17-18. In the concept of the Jews, calling Jesus “Son of God” is the same as confessing that Jesus is “equal with (18)______.”
Example: The sun and light can be compared to God and Jesus. The light comes from the sun. There is no difference between the substance of the light and the substance of the sun, but there is only one sun. In the same way, there is only one God, and Jesus, who is the same substance as God, came from to make God known to us.
D. Read Mark 2:3-12.
- In verse 7, are the words spoken by Jesus’ enemies right or wrong? (19)____
- Because Jesus can forgive (20)_______, that proves that he is (21)_______
- What name does Jesus call Himself in verse 10? (22)________________
This name comes from the Old Testament, in Daniel 7:13-14. In a vision, Daniel saw someone standing in heaven. Daniel called Him a “son of man’, because He looked like a man, and yet He received worship. When Jesus called Himself “son of man”, Jesus claimed to be the one that Daniel saw in heaven. Read Matt. 25:31-32. At the end of the world, everyone will be judged by (23)_____.
- WHY DID JESUS COME TO EARTH?
A. Here are two reasons::
- Read John 1:18. If Jesus had not come, we would have no way to know (24)_____.
- Read I Peter 3:18. If Jesus had not died, our _(25)___ would not be forgiven.
- Read Romans 1:3-4.
- Jesus is both (26)_____ and man at the same time.
- If Jesus was not man, could he die for us? (27)____
- If Jesus was not God, would His death have enough value to save us? (28)_____
- How did God prove that Jesus was God’s Son? _(29)___________________
B. Read John 3:16.
- What was God’s motive for saving us? (30)______
- Who has the qualification to enter into heaven? _(31)__________________
- To understand “believe”, read 2 Cor. 1:9. “Believe” means to (32)_____ on God.
- JESUS IN THE CREED. Below is part two of the Apostles Creed:
I believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven, and is sitting on the right hand of God the Father Almighty. He will come from there to judge the living and the dead.
- JESUS AND DAILY LIVING. Here are some common misunderstandings about Jesus. Answer each question by using a Bible verse from this lesson.
- Jesus was only a good teacher, and didn’t help solve my problem of sin. (33)
- Jesus could never understand what it is like to be a human. (34)
- I can find God without any help. (35)
- I can live my life according to my own will. (36)
- There is no way God could ever accept me. (37)
ANSWERS: (1) God is with us (2) Jesus is God (3) Jesus (4) sins (5) God (6) Jesus came in order to save us (7) Christ, King (8) Messiah (9) Prophet (10) Priest (11) God (12) The Word (13) God (14) Jesus (15) God (16) “In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God. Jesus was with God (etc.) (17) Son (18) God (19) right (20) sins (21) God (22) Son of Man (23) Jesus (24) God (25) Sins (26) God (27) No (28) No (29) Jesus rose from the dead (30) love (31) whoever believes in Jesus (32) rely (33) 1 Peter 3:18 said Jesus died for our sins (34) Romans 1:3 said Jesus is human (35) John 1:18 said only Jesus can show me God (36) Mark 15:32 says Jesus is my King (37) John 3:16 says God accepts all who believe in Jesus