8. Jesus is Lord
I. CALLING JESUS “LORD”
- THE MEANING OF CALLING JESUS “LORD.”
Read Philippians 2:10-11.
- By “bowing our knee,” we admit that we have a lower rank than our (1)_______.
- The Jews used “Lord” as a name for God, so calling Jesus “Lord”
means we realize that He is our (2)________.
B. THE IMPORTANCE OF CALLING JESUS “LORD.”
Read Romans 10:9.
A person who is saved believes that Jesus is (3)______.
II. WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE IN JESUS AS THEIR LORD
- THE MESSAGE THAT BRINGS PEOPLE TO THE LORD.
Read 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. What is the name for the message by which we are saved? (4)________ Who is this message about? (5)________ . This message tells us that Jesus did what three things? (6)_______, ________, ________.
- HOW GOD DRAWS PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THE MESSAGE.
- Read Acts 10:38 to 40 and 43. Whom was Peter speaking about? (7)______
- Read verse 44. Who went into action as Peter spoke about Jesus? (8)____ ____.
- HOW TO DISCOVER THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT IS AT WORK.
You can ask questions like this:
- Do you admit that you are a sinner? If you answer yes, you can know the Holy Spirit is at work in you. Read John 16:8-9. One role of the Spirit is to convince you that you have (9)_____.
- Will you repent of your sins, telling God you are sorry and hate your sin? If you are willing, you can know the Spirit is at work. Read 2 Corinthians 7:10. Your repentance is according to the will of (10)_______.
- Who is Jesus? If your answer is, “God who became a man,” you can know that the Spirit is working in you, because according to Matthew 16:15-17. Peter knew that Jesus was Christ because (11)________ had told him.
- What was Jesus’ mission on earth? If your answer is, “to die for me,” you can know that God is working in you. Read 1 Corinthians 1:18. Many people think that the idea of Jesus dying on a cross for us is (12)________. Read 1 Corinthians 2:12. If you believe God’s plan, you were taught by whom? (13)________
- How did Jesus prove that He accomplished His mission? If you answer “Jesus rose from the dead,” you can know God is working in you. One of Jesus’ disciples, named Thomas, did not believe at first. Read John 20:27-29.
Someone who has not seen Jesus, but believes Jesus has risen, is (14)_________.
- Do you trust in Jesus, not just agree that He exists? If yes, you can know that God is working in you. Read Ephesians 2:8-9. Your faith did not come by itself, but it is a gift of (15)________.
- Will you leave other gods and masters, and trust in the triune God, the God who created everything, as your only Lord? If yes, you can know the Holy Spirit has been working in you. Read 1 Corinthians 12:3. If you realize that Jesus is Lord, it as a result of the work of the (16)_________ __________.
- RESULTS OF CONFESSING YOUR FAITH. Read Romans 10:9. Because God has moved you to believe in Jesus, Whose family are you part of? (17)_______ Who will never leave you, even after you die? (18)________
III. LIVING FOR THE LORD
A. HOW TO SHOW THAT JESUS IS YOUR LORD. Read Matthew 5:16.
God saves you and accepts you as you are, even before you make any change in your behavior. God continually works in you after you have become His child, so you gradually improve your behavior. The purpose is so that others may see that you are someone who has been saved. Perhaps they will come to accept that God exists through watching your life. God loves us, and moves us to love Him, and God moves us to show forth that love through the way we act.
Read 1 John 5:3. What can you do to show that you love the Lord? (19)_______. Since you have both a new life and an old life, your actions will sometimes show that Jesus is Lord, and sometimes not. When your actions do not show Jesus as Lord, you are still a Christian, but you are a disobedient Christian. The Holy Spirit will produce guilt in you until you repent. After that, because you have turned to Christ by repenting, your relationship with God has been strengthened, and your new life will continue to become stronger.
- SHOWING JESUS AS LORD IN CONCRETE WAYS.
Check the ones that you will promise to do:
___1. Read 1 Peter 2:13. I will show Jesus is Lord by obeying (20)_________. See Acts 5:29.
___2. Read 1 Thess. 4:3. … by living a holy (21)_______.
___3. Read John 8:31-32 … by reading the (22)_________.
___4. Children: Read Colossians 3:20 … by obeying (23)__________. Married people: Read Ephesians 5:22 and 25. … by (24)________.
___5. Read Ephesians 6:7. … by being dependable in my
___6. Read Hebrews 10:25. …by being part of a (26)____.
___7. Read Acts 2:42 …by often receiving (27)_________.
___8. Read 1 Peter 3:15. …By sharing my (28)________.
- LIFE UNDER THE LORD.
A. Read Romans 14:7-8.
Living for the Lord means not living for (29)________.
B. Here is God’s promise to help you. Read Philippians 2:13.
- The desire to live as though Jesus is Lord comes from (30)___________.
- The power to live as though Jesus is Lord comes from (31)___________.