Relating with local Christians and local church
From AB, 2004: Interview with MD and SD:
wherever you go or missionary goes there is church — as soon as there are 2 or 3 gathered together in Christ’s name
sharing in worship w/ local Christians is high priority — whether you can understand w/ them or not, sit in the chair with them, experience the worship together, greeting/meeting/drinking. See yourself as a 2 way ambassador.
Details of your calling will have an effect how you relate to a sister local church.
Quotes from the book Stepping Out, From chapter “Trial by Team” by Dave Hicks:
– “the number one problem in missionary work today is broken, strained relationships (page 97)”
– when our relationships are strong, enormous resource are released to accomplish the work of God (97)”
– “we must know the reality of allowing God’s love to cover our interaction with others (98)”
From chapter “No Longer Strangers” by Steven T. Hoke
– “Many ministry opportunities are missed by short-termers because their attitude is that of ministering to, not ministering among or with (109).”
– “Relationships of trust emerged as fear and ignorance were replaced by knowledge and empathy gained through nightly story telling and visits in each other’s homes (110).”
– “Your information gathering will reveal some barriers. Try to identify the most significant barriers (110).”
return to overseas work menu