Fear Bible Study
2. To be in awe of or to revere
Using the first definition of fear:
1. Think of at least 10 things that human beings are most afraid of?
2. What are some bad effects of fear? (Luke 21:25-26)
3. Is there any benefit from these fears?
4. In Matthew 10:26 -,28 Jesus tells us that we should not fear those who are serving the Devil because their actions will be made known. Then he says, “Do not fear those who kill the body, but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” In other words we should not be afraid of _______death, but we should definitely fear ______death.
5. Many people do not believe that there is a hell and have no fear of God’s anger and punishment of sin. What is the result? (Psalm 10:13)
According to John 3:36, what is the result of such unbelief and lack of fear?
6. Can you see the benefit of being afraid of punishment for sin? Could this fear lead people to Jesus and the forgiveness of their sin?
7. Can we speak words of comfort to fearful people who are purposefully rejecting and denying Christ? What can we say to them?
Considering the second definition of fear –
1 . Who can you think of that is respected, held is awe:
a. in positions of power
b. for their wisdom
c. for skill in the arts, in athletics, in the entertainment field
d. as peers who you feel that you need acceptance from
2. What are some negative results of being in awe of some of these people?
3. Are there benefits from reverential fear of people?
4. Who is the most important one to fear? Why? (Psalm 33 & Ecclesiastes 12: 13-14)
5. What does the Bible tell us are the benefits of reverential fear of God in the following verses? Job 28:28
Proverbs 1:7 & 15:33
Isaiah 33:5-6 with Colossians 2:3
Psalm 25: 12,14
Proverbs 10:27 Proverbs 14:27 Psalm 33: 18-19
6. How did God draw the people of Israel and Judah closer to himself? (Jeremiah 32:38-40)
How can we develop more reverence for God?
When negative fears sneak into our lives, how can we deal with them?
Matthew 10:29-33 Luke 12:31-32 Romans 8:9-16 2 Timothy 1:7-12 Matthew 14:22-33
When we are afraid of people or things and /or fail to show respect and reverence for God, what does that show us about ourselves?
What does God say about lack of faith? (Romans 14:23)
When we discover sin in our live we can make excuses for it or we can deal with it according to 1 John 1:8-9.
1 John 4:16,18 tells us that, “God is __, and that where God’s __ is there is no fear, because perfect __ takes away fear. It is punishment that makes a person fear. So __ is not made perfect in the person who has fear.”.
Considering the Bible verses we have just studied would you agree with the following statement? “The more awe, respect, and reverence we have for God, the less we will fear things and people.”
We live by faith, not by sight… we make it our goal to please God, whatever the circumstances. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ… Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to help others to accept the truth. 2 Corinthians 5:7, 9-11
The joy of knowing how wonderful God is, how much he loves us, and how he can free us from fear, is made even more abundant when we have the privilege of ____________________
written by Sue Found in 2005
Return to Life Issues Menu