I. Describing Jesus. Please read Romans 1:3-4.
1. Jesus has a __________ nature. Jesus was shown to be the Son of ________. Therefore, Jesus is both _______ and man at the same time.
2. Please read Hebrews 2:14. Jesus shared in our __________; if he had not been human, he would not have been able to free us by his _________.
3. Read John 1:18. Besides dying for us, another purpose Jesus came was to enable us to know ____ more completely.
II. Jesus is God.
1. Jesus is God, because Jesus is called “Son of God.”. Some say “son of God” means Jesus is not God. Please read John 5:17-18. Because Jesus called God his father, he was claiming to be _______ with God. Therefore “son of God” means that Jesus is _____.
2. Jesus is God, because Jesus does the works of God. Please read Mark 2:7. Only God can forgive sins. Jesus forgives sins; therefore Jesus is ______. Please read John 1:1-2, where Jesus is called “The Word.” (the Greek word used here, “logos,” was used by philosophers to mean an underlying power of the entire universe). Verse 1 says that “The Word” (Jesus) was with ____ and in fact that “the Word” was _____. God is known in the Bible as the “creator;” and there can be only one creator; in verse 3, it says that all things were _____ by “The Word” (Jesus). Since Jesus is involved in the work of creation, therefore Jesus is _____. (The reason we know that “the Word” refers to Jesus is because of verse 14, which says “the Word” became _____.)
3. Jesus is God, because Jesus has the characteristics of God. Please read 1 Timothy 1:17. The only God is eternal and immortal — that means God cannot die. Please read Acts 2:24. The Bible says it was impossible for death to keep hold of Jesus. This demonstrates that Jesus is _______.
4. Jesus is God, because Jesus receives worship. Please read Luke 4:8. Jesus tells us that we must worship only God. Please read Matthew 28:17. Jesus receives worship from his disciples: therefore Jesus is _______. Please read John 20:28. Thomas calls Jesus “My Lord and my _______.”
III. Jesus is judge Please read Matthew 25:31-33. By calling himself Son of Man, Jesus means he is the supernatural judge seen by Daniel in a vision. Read Daniel 7:13-14. The Son of Man has a kingdom that will last how long?_________. People of all languages do what? ______
IV. Jesus is king. 1. Please read Mark 15:32. Jesus is called two things: Christ, and ________ of Israel.
2. Please read John 1:41. Christ has the same meaning as _____________. God promised to the Jews that someone in David’s family would be the king of the entire world, and would rule forever. When we called Jesus “Christ,” we are saying that Jesus is our ________; therefore he is our leader, and we are willing to submit to him forever.
V. Jesus is savior. Please read Matthew 1:21-23. What is the meaning of the term Immanuel: _______ with us. The angel tells Joseph to give the baby the name Jesus, “because he will save his people from their ______.” The function of Jesus is shown in his name. The first part, Je, is a short way of saying the name of God, Jehovah. (Jehovah is an English way of saying the name that God used at the burning bush: Yahweh, meaning I am that I am.). The “sus” part is an English way of saying a Hebrew word that means “saves.” Therefore, Jesus means “God _______.”
PART TWO OF THE APOSTLES CREED. As you read, look for words and concepts that you discovered above.
And (I believe) in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate1, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell2. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there he shall come to judge the living and the dead.
What words or phrases from the creed answer each of the needs below:
1) What if I’m not able to go to Israel to make contact with Jesus? ________
2) Why do Christians think Jesus is both God and man? ________
3) Who will I face at the last day? _________
Notes. 1. Pontius Pilate was the Roman governor who gave the command to kill Jesus.
2. Jesus descended to hell to proclaim his victory.
Return to Key Bible Topics menu