PERSONAL STRATEGIES FOR CROSS CULTURAL OUTREACH
- METHOD OF ENTRY (How will you get your visa?)
1. secular job (tent-maker)
2. social service (medical, agricultural)
3. religious professional (missionary)
4. tourism (short-term)
5. I am already a citizen of the receiving country, so don’t need a visa
- WHAT IS YOUR RELATION TO A SENDING CHURCH?
1. A denomination in the sending country issued a call to me
2. A single congregation sent me and will help support me
3. A group in the receiving country invited me to do certain tasks
4. I am going on my own initiative and have no responsibility to a church
5. How will you keep your supporters informed of your situation
- WHAT WILL YOU DO UPON ARRIVAL? HOW WILL YOU…
1. Find housing, phone, change money, buy food,
2. Get money from home or find a job?
3.Find a language school, or determine language learning method?
- WHAT WILL BE YOUR RELATION TO THE BELIEVERS ALREADY ON THE SCENE?
1. A receiving-country group will direct my work
2. I must create a personal strategy to support the existing work
3. I will work Independently of the existing mission
4. The sending-country church has directed me to work with an existing mission
5. WHAT WILL BE YOUR METHOD OF FORMING RELATIONSHIPS?
1. Through your role (for example, as a teacher)
2. Through contacts made in daily living (such as shopping)
3. Through mission activities (in the church or church-directed outreach)
6. WHAT WILL BE YOUR METHOD OF SHARING THE GOSPEL
2. in classes
3. through media (website, email, letters)
4. invite to events or invite to church
7. WHAT WILL BE YOUR METHOD OF NURTURING
2. in classes
3. through media
4. large gatherings
8. HOW WILL YOU HELP NEW BELIEVERS ASSIMILATE INTO CHURCH?
1. If there is an existing church, how will you…
A. Bring the person to church
B. Find others to bring the person to church
2. I there is no church, how will you …
A. gather new believers into a group
B. Train leaders for the group
C. become a church that is self-governing, self-supporting, self-propagating?
9. HOW WILL YOU BE SUPPORTED”
1. I will be paid by the church in the receiving country
2. I must find a secular job to support myself
3. I will speak at churches in the sending country, asking for pledges
4. I will ask for pledges from individuals in the sending country
5. I will write letters to individuals and churches, asking for pledges
10. WHAT IS YOUR METHOD FOR LEAVING (exit strategy). HOW WILL YOU …
1. Train your replacement
2. Gradually turn over of responsibility
3. Continue to be on call from afar
To Life and Work page To cross cultural page to world religion page